The finished sculpture, which arrived in 1821, cost $10,000 and received acclaim nationwide for its beauty and workmanship. An elaborate dedication ceremony was held and the statue remained in the rotunda of the State Capitol where, in 1825, it was seen by the Marquis de LaFayette.
When the Capitol burned in 1831, the Carrara marble sculpture was shattered. Pieces were saved and for several years attempts were made to restore the statue. In 1908, an original model of the Washington sculpture was found in the Canova Museum in Italy and Italian authorities allowed a plaster replica to be made. In 1970, a marble reproduction of the original Canova sculpture was placed in the rotunda of the 1840 State Capitol. It still greets visitors today.(.wordpress.com)